How to make a stove for a bath from a pipe with your own hands
Finally, the third area of application, where pipe stoves are in their place. heating poultry houses and barnyards; except for sparrowhawks, etc. for keeping heat-loving species. Furnaces-heaters such as Buleryan are not suitable here. They are good for heating greenhouses with greenhouses, and greenhouse conditions are contraindicated for commercial pets during winter maintenance: living creatures will catch a cold from drafts and die. In bullers, convectors turn on only with a sufficiently intense firebox; if the stove-heater is heated with chips, it will not heat at all.
The best option in this case is a cast-iron potbelly stove. With a low- or medium-intensity firebox, its efficiency turns out to be quite acceptable even without a special chimney. But, due to the rather high demand and archaic technology (the details are poured into the ground, as under the Demidovs, and assembled into a product by hand), cast-iron potbelly stoves are quite expensive. over, manufacturers are wiser on design and, of course, charge money for an elegant modern look, like Mercedes for an asterisk.
Bricking a potbelly stove from a pipe to increase efficiency
In this case, it is possible, and not difficult, to make a potbelly stove yourself from a pipe (500 530) x (10 12), thanks to the thick walls it will be quite durable and in a chemically quite aggressive atmosphere. True, due to the lower heat capacity than cast iron and the greater thermal conductivity of steel, the efficiency of the furnace will drop, but this can be dealt with.
The easiest way out is to brick the lower third of the furnace into a brick, see. rice. on the right, extending the blower (profiled pipe 130x60x2). The lining will provide heating of the air entering the furnace and to some extent optimize the temperature regime in it. Chimney. pipe 100 120 mm.
Those who prefer metal to stone and are not afraid to put their hands on the stove can make a potbelly stove from the same 530 pipe with an efficiency almost like that of a buller, yes, yes! How? By supplying secondary air to the furnace for afterburning. In rectangular potbelly stoves from a sheet, such a Focus does not work, proper internal circulation will not work due to the corners. And in the round. please.
Drawings of such a potbelly stove from a pipe are given in Fig. below. Among other things, it is mobile, t.to. not walled up. The opening for laying the grate is formed by 2 circular segments of sheet steel 4-8 mm, see the inset at the bottom right of fig. You can heat this stove, in addition to firewood and coal, also with pellets. True, when burned, they do not give a lot of ash in a special burner, but they are cheap, and the ash is suitable for fertilizer. Household potbelly stoves made of pipes have another advantage compared to cast-iron ones: on their hob, you can quickly heat up food with swill even with a weak firebox.
Potbelly stove from pipe 530 with secondary air supply
Description of typical schemes of furnaces from a pipe
The furnace from the pipe is a metal cylinder with holes made for the firebox and ash pan and a chimney welded on top. There are two main options for pipe ovens:
Horizontal models are suitable for baths and industrial premises, as their design provides for the installation of a tank for heating water and other accessories.
On the “lying” stoves, barbecue grills and barbecue grills are installed, which makes them the best option for a personal plot or cottage.
Vertical ovens occupy a small area and are suitable for heating change houses and cooking in small country kitchens.
Reference. In a vertically located stove, firewood burns out faster and gives more heat, and horizontal structures melt more slowly, but allow you to keep warm longer with less fuel consumed.
The level of axial or lateral inclination of the horizontal body does not, as a rule, affect the operation of the stove in the bath, therefore there are no special requirements or conditions for its installation in the room. To eliminate the metallic smell in the bath, the surface can be coated with one of the high-temperature compositions based on powdered aluminum and silicon. But more often the surface in the bath simply burns to the dark red color of iron oxide and does not oxidize further.
Sauna stove from a pipe (59 photos): we do Sauna stove from a pipe (59 photos): we do Sauna stove from a pipe (59 photos): we do.
- Do-it-yourself chimney cleaning
- Do-it-yourself home mini sauna in the apartment
- How to dry the basement and cellar from dampness
- How to remove mold in an apartment
General cooking rules
The Russian stove is a massive construction, which occupies a very large part. Between the stove and the wall of the house there is a bed, or a couch, on which the village children slept. Cooking is one of the main functions of the oven besides heating. Due to languor, the process can be long in time. But useful substances are preserved to the maximum.
So that the cooking process and its result do not disappoint, you need to follow simple rules:
- The oven must be preheated before cooking. Ideal condition. hot walls and burning coals.
- After heating, the hostess has no more than 4 hours to prepare dishes. If the stove has cooled down, then it is heated for 1-2 hours. If you plan to fry, then you need to have time to cook for this period.
- Food is taken out of the oven with a fork. If there is none, then a regular wooden shovel may do. But it is better to practice these maneuvers in advance. As in any other unusual business, skill is needed here.
- Dishes are languishing in the oven at the same time. The exception is the loaf. It is always baked separately. Food that requires long languor is placed in the very depths.
The choice of the design of a homemade stove
Metal home-made stoves for a bath are welded not only from pipes or cylinders, but also from sheet steel. what does anyone have available. From sheets, a rectangular body is usually cooked, inferior to a cylindrical one according to the following criteria:
- Manufacturing complexity. An iron pipe is an almost finished firebox, and sheet metal still needs to be cut, cut into blanks and assembled into one whole by welding.
- For the same reason, the price of a round product will be less, unless you do all the work yourself.
- The cylindrical shape of the sauna stove from the pipe is better in terms of heat exchange with the surrounding air.
- A circular section is always preferable to a rectangular one in terms of flue gas flow.
- A flat wall of the fuel chamber will last less and burn out faster than a pipe of the same thickness made from the same grade of steel.
The task of manufacturing a furnace from a pipe or a gas cylinder is usually solved in 2 ways: to make the body horizontal or vertical. Both options have the right to life and have their own pros and cons. A vertical stove for a bath is more compact than a horizontal one and is appropriate in a steam room of small sizes, where every square meter counts. But it is inferior in terms of burning time and heat transfer efficiency, which is important.
Heat Exchanger with Your Own Hands for a Sauna Stove. DIY
You will find more information about the designs of home-made potbelly stoves for long burning in the corresponding article.
During combustion, the greatest part of the heat rises up, the side walls do not warm up so much. And at the top, the surface area of the exchange is small, but there is an exit to the outside through the chimney, where the heat rushes with joy. Not so are the processes in the horizontal design of the furnace, where the chimney pipe is far away and on the way to it, hot gases will give off part of the heat to the semicircular arch of the body.
Ready-made stove with a grid for stones and a remote firebox
The efficiency of a horizontal metal furnace welded from a pipe with your own hands will always be slightly higher than a vertical one.
The situation is similar with burning wood. Inside the vertical firebox, the flame covers the entire array of fuel, if the air supply is not covered by the ashpit door. But you can’t heat a bath like that, because the task of a heat source is to give out a lot of heat in a short period of time. In a firebox extended in length, the flame moves from the front to the back, burning firewood gradually and more efficiently. One caveat: such a heater takes up more space and is not suitable for every steam room.
Which sauna stove project to choose
Immediately, I want to note that in most cases, homemade metal furnaces are not distinguished by a stylish original appearance or any designer delights, but at the same time, fully perform their functional purpose, and allow you to quickly and efficiently make the room with a pair of up to 20 cubic meters.
Sectional diagram of a wood-burning stove.
According to their design, metal pipe sauna stoves can be divided into two types, each of which has its own positive and negative sides, so the choice of the final heater project should depend on the size and layout of the steam room, as well as on the bath owner’s own preferences.
- The vertical sauna stove has an external resemblance to a conventional potbelly stove, but the main difference is that in its design, in addition to the furnace compartment, there is an additional container for laying stones, and a water tank for heating water. This model looks more compact and occupies a smaller floor area, so it can be used for a small steam room, however, it should be borne in mind that it has a lower thermal efficiency, and its main disadvantage is that the firebox and blower doors will be located in the steam room. room;
- The horizontal stove-heater also has a compartment for laying stones and a container for heating water, however, in this design, the doors of the firebox and blower are located at the end of the pipe, which allows them to be taken outside the steam room, into the dressing room or outside. Unlike the previous model, the horizontal heater occupies a slightly larger floor area, but due to the low location of the stove and the longer length of the firebox, the heating area of the stones increases significantly, and the natural convection of heated air in the steam room improves, therefore, if the size and internal layout of the sauna allow, I would prefer this option.
Metal sauna stove with a horizontal pipe.
Advantages and disadvantages of pipe stoves
Among the main technical requirements for materials for the manufacture of sauna stoves, first of all, I would single out heat resistance, high mechanical strength, durability and high corrosion resistance, the ability to withstand sudden temperature changes, as well as a high value of heat capacity and thermal conductivity.
Despite the fact that ferrous metal cannot be considered absolutely resistant to corrosion, in all other respects, a thick-walled steel pipe with a diameter of 500-600 mm is the most acceptable option in this case, and then I will try to explain why:
- Ferrous metal has sufficient mechanical strength, withstands multiple significant temperature changes well, and in addition, it has a low coefficient of linear thermal expansion and a high heat transfer coefficient;
Scheme of distribution of heat flows in a horizontal heater.
- Due to the large wall thickness (at least 8 mm), such a furnace has sufficient heat capacity, so it can retain heat for some time even after the fuel burns out, and in addition, a thick-walled pipe does not collapse so quickly under the action of water and temperature corrosion, therefore, with proper operation, it can last more than a dozen years;
- Due to the round internal section of the pipe, the side walls and the roof of the furnace compartment are cylindrical or dome-shaped, which ensures the most efficient distribution and removal of heat from the burning fuel, and contributes to the creation of good natural draft in the furnace;
Distribution of heat flows in a horizontal furnace with a secondary chamber and a water tank on the rear wall.
- Making a heater from a round pipe allows you to minimize the number of right angles and the total length of welds, which, as you know, are the very first center of corrosion, as well as the most likely place for smoke and carbon monoxide to leak into the room in the absence of normal draft in the chimney;
- Despite the fact that at present the price of ferrous metal has increased significantly, this option is still the cheapest. In addition, I believe that it is not necessary to buy a new steel pipe at a metal depot as a commercial product, but try to look for a suitable used piece at the points of reception of secondary ferrous metal, or agree to buy at a reasonable price from a foreman, directly at the site of construction work or laying of main pipelines.
If the pipe has one straight weld, it must be installed so that it points down towards the blower.
For making a sauna stove, I suggest trying to find a hot-rolled seamless pipe, however, as an option, you can also use an electric longitudinally welded pipe with one longitudinal seam along the center line. Cheaper spiral-seam pipes with a screw weld, I do not recommend using for these purposes, since they can deform under strong heat.
Where can I use the stove?
Handicraft stoves, which operate mainly on solid fuels (wood, coal, pellets, briquettes) or used machine oil, have a wide range of applications. As a rule, such structures are used:
- in the baths. The sauna stove does not have to be large, since red-hot stones filled in a special box are usually responsible for maintaining the temperature. It is for this reason that the product may be quite simple and compact. the main thing is that its design ensures the tightness and high heating efficiency.
- In garages. The stove from the garage pipe can work both on solid and on liquid fuel. The use of such a furnace allows you to maintain the optimal temperature in an unheated room, which is sometimes critical and when performing long-term repair, and when trying to start in the cold.
- In greenhouses. For heating a small greenhouse sorry to buy a professional wood or coal oven. too high the price. But a simple product from steel pipes, in which any wooden waste can be burned, perfectly cope with heating of protected soil and seedlings from spring frosts.
The simplest model for heating the greenhouse
- In the kitchens of country houses. For a cottage or a country house in which you live permanently, it is better to buy a cast-iron stove with an industrial stove, or lay down a permanent brick structure. But a country house can be equipped with a homemade product: in the warm season we will use it for cooking, and in spring and autumn it will also warm the house quite effectively.
In addition, such heaters of the simplest design are often used to heat industrial premises. warehouses, workshops, etc.d. Of course, in terms of efficiency, they are inferior to heat guns and buleryans, but if there is an abundance of firewood, and the whole task is to ensure that a worker in an insulated jacket does not freeze and fingers do not stick to metal, then they cope with the job.
You can make tea if needed!
Drawings of bath stoves from a pipe
The sauna stove consists of several elements connected in series to each other by means of electric or gas welding:
- From the body. It has a blower with a lid, a portal for cobblestones, a firebox, grates.
- From a container (tank) for heating water. Sometimes it is made not as a separate element, but as a continuation of the body.
- From the chimney.
- From a spark arrester mounted on a chimney.
Water flows through overflow pipes inside the tank and is discharged using pipes for cold and hot water supply.
Drawing of a horizontal bath stove from a pipe, side and front view.
Installation and operation of pipe stoves
The operation of metal furnaces is associated with the risk of burns and fire. Therefore, when installing them, the following rules must be observed:
- Install above floor level on a concrete or brick foundation with a height of 20 cm or more.
- Place a metal sheet in front of the doors of the blower and the firebox.
- The distance from the wooden walls of the bath to the hot surfaces of the stove must be at least 1 meter.
The water tank must be filled before starting the sauna. Water must not be poured into a dry hot tub, as steam burst leading to burns may occur.
After watching the video instruction and having dealt with the drawings, you can make a stove for a bath from a pipe with your own hands. This task will be really easy. The design will turn out with high efficiency and, with proper installation and operation, completely safe. The main thing is to carry out all stages of work strictly according to the instructions, without violating the technology.